The purpose of the DIC Challenge is to advance the practice of DIC through collective efforts that point to optimum methodologies. The DIC Challenge is conducted under the auspices of the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) and iDICs under the direction of the DIC Challenge board (see below).
We meet twice each year: in June at the Society for Experimental Mechanics Conference, and in November at the International DIC Society Conference. These meetings are open to the community and recently have been hosted in a hybrid online and in-person format.
Currently, the DIC Challenge consists of the following specific challenges.
- NEW: Discontinuity DIC Challenge (more details to come)
- Stereo DIC Challenge
- Huge Strain Challenge
- Digital Volume Correlation (DVC) Round Robin 2.0
- Scanning Electron Microscope DIC (SEM-DIC) Round Robin
The goal of the Stereo-DIC Challenges is to provide a framework within which all codes can be tested, validated, and improved for their intended use. Both commercial codes and university codes are included. The use of a common image data set (with both experimental and synthetic images) removes the experimental errors associated with multiple hardware setups created by a typical, specimen-based, round-robin style test. The DIC code itself is then isolated and more easily evaluated independent of other experimental considerations. The goal of the Digital Volume Correlation (DVC) Round Robin and Scanning Electron Microscope DIC (SEM-DIC) Round Robin is collectively building greater knowledge about these specialized image techniques for DIC, and investigating the optimum image parameters for each image modality.
The Discontinuity DIC Challenge aims to outline the methods, provide images, and evaluate the performances of DIC codes to capture and characterize discontinuous displacements that occur during slip, cracking, and other important mechanical phenomena.
2-D DIC Challenge 1.0
- Dataset Link
- Paper: Reu PL, Toussaint E, Jones E, Bruck HA, Iadicola M, Balcaen R, Turner DZ, Siebert T, Lava P, Simonsen M. DIC Challenge: Developing Images and Guidelines for Evaluating Accuracy and Resolution of 2D Analyses. Exp Mech 58, 1067–1099 (2018).
2D-DIC Challenge 2.0
- Dataset link
- Paper: Reu PL, Blaysat B, Andó E, Bhattacharya K, Couture C, Couty V, Deb D, Fayad SS, Iadicola MA, Jaminion S, Klein M. DIC Challenge 2.0: Developing Images and Guidelines for Evaluating Accuracy and Resolution of 2D Analyses. Exp Mech 62, 639–654 (2022).
Digital Volume Correlation (DVC) Round Robin 2.0
- (Dataset link coming soon)
- Paper: Croom BP, Burden D, Jin H, Vonk NH, Hoefnagels JP, Smaniotto B, Hild F, Quintana E, Sun Q, Nie X, Li X. Interlaboratory Study of Digital Volume Correlation Error Due to X-Ray Computed Tomography Equipment and Scan Parameters: an Update from the DVC Challenge. Exp Mech 61, 395–410 (2021).